You may also find our Guide to Becoming and Oil and Gas Engineer helpful.
Before seeking a contract, it is advisable to update your CV to make it as appealing as possible, visit our writing your CV page for more information. A successful CV will clearly emphasise on your experience and what you can offer them. With new environmental pressure on the industry, it is advantageous to show an interest in protecting natural resources and the environment while meeting the worlds demand for oil and gas.
To give your CV something different, you could:
- Extracurricular activities – showing any team work achievements.
- LinkedIn and Facebook groups (but nothing that might deter potential clients).
- Keeping track of current issues in the oil and gas sector.
- Any fitness activities your may participate in – to emphasize you’re fit and healthy.
- Proof of a Vantage Card to travel offshore.
- Any relevant safety training qualifications.
Another option is contacting companies direct. Some of the biggest companies you can look for contacts in are:
- Chevron Texaco – The world’s largest integrated energy companies. They engage in every aspect of the crude oil and natural gas industry, including exploration and production, manufacturing, marketing and transportation, chemical manufacturing and sales, geothermal energy and power generation. Their workforce is approximately 60,000 employees excluding station employees.
- Technip – Is a key contributor to the development of technologies and sustainable solutions for the exploitation of the world’s energy resources. Technip operates in three segments of the world oil and gas market: Subsea, Offshore and Onshore.
- Wormald Tyco – Offer a complete suite of services to the Oil & Gas industry, both onshore and offshore. Tyco offers a range of services such as: Audio Communications, Breathing air Services, Control Systems, Environmental, Fire Detection and Alarm, Fire Extinguishers and Gas Detection.
- Talisman – Is a global, upstream oil and gas company with the purpose of safe, profitable growth. Talisman primarily operates in North America, the North sea and Southeast Asia.
- ConocoPhilips – operates in more than 30 countries worldwide and employs approximately 29,000 employees. The companies four core worldwide activities include: Exploration and Productions, Refining, Marketing and Transportation and Natural Gas Gathering, Processing and Marketing.
Advantages of Oil and Gas contracting
- Higher rates of pay – This is only fair as unlike permanent employees, you do not get holiday or sick pay, giving you a greater chance to negotiate a higher rate of pay.
- Prospects – There is an endless supply of contracts, as the demand for oil and gas is struggling to be met.
- Experience – The more contracts you take on the greater your practical and managerial skills. Giving you a wider choice of projects and the ability to charge higher daily rates.
- Freedom – You can choose which contracts you take on and the length of time your contract is.
- ‘Bonhomie’ among the colleagues – If you take a contract on an oil rig, you tend to see the same faces every day and they soon become your extended family. You can bank on them for all your needs.
- Tax Planning Opportunities – Any accountant will tell you that trading through your own limited company is the most tax efficient method. This only to be expected after all as a contractor you do not get sick pay, holiday pay, and have to manage your own tax affairs. However any good accountant will be able to remove most of the burden and you shouldn’t need to allow more than 15 – 20 minutes a month for administration.
For more information on tax planning, fill out the form below and one of our specialists will be in contact with you.