Contracting in the technology sector is an extremely lucrative career choice, as the industry is constantly evolving and businesses are increasingly relying on contractors to cover spikes in demand.
What is a HTML developer?
HTML (hypertext markup language) is the computer language used to create web pages. A developer with specialist skills in this field will be responsible for making the graphic designer’s design a reality by coding the website. It’s a technical role but often the graphic designer will consult with the HTML contractor to ensure that their design can be coded.
What skills are needed?
The skills required of an HTML contractor include problem solving, creating websites using languages such as HTML, XML, Java and CSS. Patience and persistence, being able to think logically and critically and being thorough and detailed in your work are all excellent assets to have as an HTML contractor.
Every day tasks for an HTML contractor include:
- Developing coding standards
- Deploying websites
- Resolving application issues
- Designing web applications
- Supervising server performance
Contact SJD Accountancy
We’ve been providing expert accountancy advice and helping contractors to focus on doing what they do best since 1992.
Call us on:
What are employers looking for?
As an HTML contractor there will be certain skills that potential employers will be looking for. Experience in your field will be a vital component, as it will show what you can offer them as a skilled contractor.
Focusing on making your CV great is extremely important in order to showcase your achievements and talents. As a contractor specialising in HTML and IT in general, having an interactive CV will especially show off these abilities. A great example of this is shown here, with a highly creative and clever CV that has been made to look like an Amazon page.
Other examples that will make you stand out from the crowd include:
- Being part of an online community
- Keeping track of current issues within the IT sector, which you can later discuss in interviews
- Any HTML qualifications and certificates.
How do I find work?
Once you have perfected your CV, you will need to send it off to potential employers. Recruitment sites are a great place to start when it comes to attracting contracts.
You could also try going directly to a company in order to secure a contract. Most companies will have a careers section where you can send your CV with a covering letter, as well.
Companies you could apply to are:
- FDM Group
- CHP Consulting
- Mitsubishi UFJ Securities International
- RM Education
- BAE Systems Detica
Another useful source for many contractors seeking assignments is LinkedIn. Using this platform correctly will also help to build up your network within the sector, expose you to groups of like-minded individuals, and also “get your name out there.”
If you have any questions about becoming an HTML contractor, our specialists can help.
Benefits of becoming an HTML contractor
- Higher rates of pay – Being a contractor is financially beneficial, as you are able to set your own rates depending on your skills and more often than not, these rates are higher than what a permanent worker can expect. This is only fair considering contractors are not entitled to the same benefits, such as holiday or sick pay.
- Prospects – Having specialist skills in the technology field means that you will find yourself very much in demand, as all businesses will need someone to create, maintain, understand and update their websites.
- Freedom – Being a contractor essentially means being your own boss; you have the control to choose which contracts you want to take on and for what length of time.
- Experience – This will help to develop your skills, which will result in you being able to take on a wider choice of projects, as well as being able to charge higher rates.
- Lower taxes – As a contractor, you are at a lot more risk than a permanent employee, so it is only fair that taxes are lower – the most tax efficient way of working, is to trade through your own limited company. A good contractor accountant will be able to answer all of your questions with regards to this subject, as well as giving you the best professional advice and guidance with all your financial needs.
Most Popular Pages
If you need any further help or advice, try these popular links.